Do you tend to be emotional?
Do people often tell you that you’re overly sensitive?
Do social events wear you out?
One of my passions is working with teens and adults that are considered highly sensitive. The highly sensitive trait is found in 20% of the population. This is not a disorder, but rather a character trait like being extroverted. Highly Sensitive People (HSPs) are not just sensitive emotionally. Their nervous systems are much more reactive to outside stimuli. This can affect not only the emotional body, but the mental, physical and spiritual as well.
How do you know if you’re a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)?
- Other people often tell you not to take things so personal
- You seem to feel much more deeply than other people
- Your feelings get hurt more easily than others
- You can physically feel the pain of those in distress
- You live inside your head
- You absorb the mood of those around you
- Making decisions is painful because you don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings
- Negativity can overwhelm you
- Horror films, violent TV shows and images are disturbing to you and cause you distress
- You tend to get so overwhelmed, especially in social situations, that you need to be alone in order to recharge
- Being in crowded areas stresses you out
- You are introverted
- You have a lower threshold for pain
- You tend to cry easily
- You tend to be more sensitive to bright lights, loud noises, smells and medications
- You suffer from digestive complaints
- People gravitate toward you when they need someone to talk to
- You have a strong sense of intuition
- You are prone to feeling anxious or depressed
How many times did you say ‘Yes, that’s me!?”
You don’t have to say yes to all of them, but the more that apply, the more likely you are a Highly Sensitive Person. I love being able to guide HSPs to living their best possible lives.
I can help you to:
- Feel less overwhelmed in your day-to-day life
- Increase your self-esteem in situations that are currently making you uncomfortable
- See the positive side of being highly sensitive
- Become more assertive and learn how to say no as a way to take care of yourself
- Avoid burnout
- Learn how to not give and give until depleted
If you’re interested in learning more about the Highly Sensitive Person and want to know how counseling can help, get in touch.